Membrillo1st November 2013 • Recipes • Stephanie Donaldson
- So, to make membrillo first wash, peel and core your quinces – then put them in a pan covered with water, bring to the boil and then simmer gently until tender (about an hour).
- Drain the fruit and puree it in a blender.
- Add the puree with an equal volume of sugar and cook gently until all the sugar is dissolved and the puree thickens (another hour).
- Line a deep baking tray or suitable container with lightly oiled greaseproof paper and spread the paste in an even layer at least 5cm (2”) deep.
- Place in a low oven 120C/250F for another hour until colour deepens. Remove and leave to cool. Cover and store in fridge. Cut a slice as needed and serve with Manchego. A generous slice of membrillo wrapped in greaseproof paper and piece of Manchego is a good present when going to a friend for dinner.