What to Compost18th July 2011 • Northern Correspondent • Stephanie Donaldson
Having studied the types of compost bins available you might be wondering what can I compost ?
What to compost from the House :
- Old Flowers
- Cardboard – old toilet roll tubes, egg boxes, cereal boxes
- Vegetables peelings, scraps of fruit and salad leaves
What to compost from the garden :
- Grass cuttings
- Twigs – limit the size of these as large twigs will slow down the composting process and will take longer to compost
- Comfrey leaves – these help speed up the composting process
- Old plants and any leaves or stems you may have removed – eg. Rhubarb leaves
Ofcourse there are some things that you should avoid putting on your compost heap and we’ll provide list of these in the next couple of days.
© Daniel Carruthers