The 25 acres of gardens at Newby Hall near Ripon in North Yorkshire are on a grand scale with highlights in every season.
The garden, in its current form, was laid out in the 20th century by the grandfather of the current owner, Richard Compton. The family have owned the Hall since 1748. Among the star attractions in the summer and early autumn are the magnificent double herbaceous borders, which are some of the longest in Europe. The lawn between them leads down to the River Ure and forms the axis from which garden paths lead to the many other gardens. www.newbyhall.com